CMS - Publishing Task 3

Publishing Task 3


My website is an e-commerce website that sells luxury electric and bass guitars. 

Migration

I initially began migrating my website using iFastNet, having used them for CA1. There were however problems with my site going live that I was forced to purchase another hosting subscription through Black Knight as they could get my site up and running immediately. I had allowed enough time with iFastNet as they usually take 24 hours but I was unfortunate in this case that there was a delay. I used the All-in-One Wordpress Migration plugin to package my site and upload it through Black Knight's Plesk panel.

Theme

The theme I chose for my website is named 'Boutique', and comes packaged with the WooCommerce plugin. I chose it as it reflects my own personal style, of both minimalism and structure. The black and white colour palette allows for the products on offer to stand out and make the website easy on the eye. I made a few modifications to the theme to improve the look to better suit my ideas. I replaced the header text with a logo that I created in Adobe Illustrator, as well as using a Google fonts plugin to override the default theme font of Times New Roman to Helvetica.

Plugins

As mentioned before, I used All-in-One WP Migration and Google Fonts plugins. I also made use of Jetpack, a security and optimisation plugin that comes bundled with WooCommerce. To add to this, I also used AMP, which improves performance on mobile devices. I didn't use any other plugins as the ones I had already installed did everything that I personally needed for the site to work to my liking.

Snippets

The site consists of 3 code snippets that are used to improve site security and as anti-spam measures. I have added a snippet that blocks comments that use URLs, as well as a snippet that implements a minimum character limit for reviews. The final snippet added is one that disables the use of emojis in reviews on the site. I attempted to write a snippet that adds a maximum character count but this would clash with the other snippet that looks for a minimum character count, so I had no choice but to deactivate it.

Comments